It is a double edged sword to be aware and knowledgeable about domestic and international current events. Right now, the Trump administration brings misery every time I read the news but it also gives me hope to keep going and be an activist.
Ignorance is bliss but being trapped in a system because of that ignorance is far from it.
I am writing this post in hopes to persuade American citizens why that can’t be a thing anymore. You can no longer be excused from the dialogue.
Yes, politics is like that couple that gets sloppy drunk and fights in front of everyone at the bar but NEVER BREAKS UP. It’s like ENOUGH ALREADY right?
I’m sorry to break it to you but if you are saying “I don’t get involved in politics,” “I stay out of it,” “I’m not interested in politics,” or anything along those lines, you need to reevaluate your life. Let me put it in a simple list so you don’t get bored or confused.
- VOTING is a privilege and I know the electoral college sucks which makes it seem like your vote doesn’t matter. But your vote DOES MATTER. Local and state elections have a huge part in shaping YOUR LIFE, not just the national ones.
- If you are frustrated with society, you have a voice so use it.
- You don’t have to know everything about every single shit going on but do your research. Actually look into a candidate’s policy views and agendas.
- If you feel like you don’t need to get involved in politics, you are in a place of privilege in which you are not negatively impacted by the laws in this country.
- To shape a society which benefits every citizen fairly, there has to be a grassroots support and activism.
- This country was found on the basis of freedom of religion, speech, and press. We will not be able to maintain it without the checks and balances in government which is mostly filled by ELECTED OFFICIALS.
- Be aware of domestic news even if you don’t want to be involved in international current events because the tax bill the Republicans are passing WILL impact you, the health care laws WILL impact you, the gun control laws they are not passing WILL impact you, the budget cuts the government makes WILL impact you.
- International news is overwhelming but it is important. The United States is one of the most powerful country in the world and its relationship with other nations will impact our immigration, technological advances, economy, and the environment.
- Getting involved has never been easier. We have access to the internet and yes there is a lot of false information out there but there are online campaigns, ways to organize a protest, donating to a non partisan NGO, and etc.
- There was a lot of blood, sweat and tears that went into creating the society we live in today. So many have sacrificed their lives so that future generations would have a better life. It may not be perfect, but if you compare the freedoms and basic necessities we have to other countries, we are at a place to improve upon it.
Our democracy is on the verge of becoming obsolete and it is up to every American citizen to uphold the pillars of our society which we all hold dear. Don’t take the rights you have for granted because it can be taken away from you infinitely faster than it was given. This all might sound dramatic but it’s true. If you don’t want the Handmaiden’s Tale to become your reality, you best get in to politics.